RF data for the scientific research in MATLAB environment
Majority of the commercial ultrasound machines are closed for the researchers and do not provide access to raw RF signals. These signals carry valuable information about acoustic wave and tissue interactions and it could be employed fo the developments of new diagnostic methods. TELEMED offers research tools for scientific engineers working in biomedical ultrasound field which allows to analyze RF data acquired by the new generation TELEMED ultrasound scanner ArtUs.
The research package is implemented in the MATLAB® (MathWorks, Inc., Natick, Massachusetts) environment and contains graphical user interfaces (Figs. 1-5) which allows to import and review annotated RF data and collection of scripts illustrating conventional RF signal processing steps, which are typically used in the B mode image formation engine.
The tools open new possibilities for:
- Developments of novel ultrasonic quantitative tissue characterisation methods
- Investigation of acoustic properties of tissue and tissue mimicking materials
- Developments of novel parametric imaging techniques
- Creation of advanced digital image processing algorithms for speckle reduction, and image enhancement
Clinical practice viewpoint
- Derivation of novel biomarkers for: recognition, characterisation and differentiation of various lesions and assessment of treatment (i.e. thermal ablation efficiency, sonoporation)
- In-vitro studies of tissue (i.e. investigation of biopsy samples)
- New sources of contrast for imaging of various lesions (tumors, tissue fibrosis, atherosclerotic plaques and much more)
- Better quality of ultrasound diagnostic images more appropriate for visual expert’s evaluation
Tool allows to observe in realtime 2 streams, B+RF. Also tool allows to set scanning parameters, define area of interest, record RF data to disc and etc. C++ application.
Tools, MATLAB scripts, Python scripts, source codes and manuals you can download here.